Several generations of Highmores occupied the living at Purse Caudle. The first was Edward, the
physician's uncle, who was inducted in 1603. He was followed by his brother
Nathaniel who came, with the baby physician-to-be, from Fordingbridge and died
He was followed by his younger son Richard, who may have been installed as early as 1650. Richard also held the
living of the 'chapel' at
Goat Hill a mile or so to the west until he died in 1695 and another Richard succeeded him.
This Richard may have been his son, but - more likely, was his second cousin (the grandson of Richard, another
of Nathaniel's brothers) who is described as the rector of Purse caundle in his will. Whoever he was, he was
succeeded by John Chafy in 1730 (whose tomb is before the altar in the sanctuary).